If you see any damage or problems in your electrical systems, call a professional. Never attempt to fix it by yourself.
It is not uncommon to see outdated, damaged, or poorly installed electrical wiring in the home. However, it’s not something to take lightly either. Faulty wirings can cause fatal electrical shocks and fire. In the US, there are thousands of residential fires that flare up every year due to faulty electrical wiring. Don’t be part of the census. Below are 6 warning signs of faulty electrical wiring you need to be on the lookout for.
· Circuit breaker trips
– Circuit breakers are designed to shut off the power when there is system overload. You can easily switch it back on and it’ll return to work. But, if your circuit breaker frequently trips, it’s a surefire sign of a potentially dangerous problem. Take note if it trips multiple times a month. Make sure to call for a professional if you suspect something is wrong.
· Flickering, buzzing, and dimming lights
– Your circuit may not trip but your lights can speak for themselves. Flickering, buzzing, or dimming lights are symptoms of an outdated or damaged electrical wiring. See if your lights buzz and flicker when turned on or dim when you use multiple appliances. If it does, never attempt to fix it on your own. Your home’s wiring may be needing a professional upgrade.
· Frayed or chewed wiring
– You may not catch them on the spot but rodents and pets can chew on your wiring. Even ants feed on electrical boxes. They can’t cut through the metal wires but they sure can chew on the softer insulation, exposing the live wires and causing electrical issues. Damaged electrical wiring such as a frayed or chewed one is an electrical shock and fire hazard. It’s extremely important to immediately act if you suspect problems of this kind. Contact an electrical contractor or wiring professional to inspect and possibly replace the wiring in your home.
· Discoloration, scorching, and smoke
– It’s important to constantly check the outlets in your home. If you see any discoloration around the outlets, it’s a sure sign of damaged wiring and is releasing heat. Never take this concern lightly as it can get much worse if left unattended.
· Warm or vibrating wall outlets
– If you don’t see any discoloration in outlets or any frayed wiring, touch your home’s electrical outlets for heat or vibrations. Either of the two needs a professional electrical inspection to replace any loose or damaged wiring.
· Burning and odd odors
– Almost all five senses are needed to examine your own home’s electrical systems. If you smell any burning, smoky or odd odors in your home especially at the point of outlets and electrical panels, contact an electrician immediately. Burning smells means wire damage and fire may have already begun. If that’s the case, have it fixed immediately.
Always trust your senses. Most importantly, always be vigilant around your home. Be alert of these warning signs and act on it immediately by calling for professional help. Do not let you or your family and friends tinker on these electrical issues.
Are you ready to move to Fayetteville, AR? Then we at Detect-It Real Estate Inspections are ready to be your home buying advocate making sure you find the perfect place to hang your hat.
Our professional home inspectors will thoroughly evaluate all aspects of the house or condo you are looking to buy. Our pros at Detect-It Real Estate Inspections do their job with due diligence to make sure we uncover any issues or concerns that could potentially impact the property value before closing a sale. All findings will be included in a comprehensive digital inspection report that will be delivered to you within 24 hours.
Schedule your home inspection service online right from our website TODAY or call us NOW at (479) 551-8040.
…Because a quality home for your family deserves no less than a quality home inspection service |
Detect-It Real Estate Inspections.